Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Paris, continued.


Before I continue, let me just mention that my darling Emmett said he wouldn’t read my blog unless his name was in it. I think this can easily be arranged if I substitute his name for a certain word. I won’t tell you what that word is, but I’ll give you a hint by providing a contextual reference. For example; A shepherd who spends far too much time in the pastures might think to himself, “I want to Emmett the sh** out of that goat.”

Good. Now let’s move on.



Yesterday we continued our success that started with the Eiffel Tower by conquering the Arc of Triumph. Well, I did anyway. Julie sat this one out. I don’t blame her. I don’t know what the Emmett I was thinking jogging up another few hundred steps after all we did the day before, but when I got to the top my legs were Emmetting shaky.

It was worth it though. The view was fabulous. It was the beginning of a thunder storm so the sky was cloudy as the sun set, which provided for an amazing skyline.



Unfortunately, since I went up alone, the only picture of me at the top was taken by yours truly:


For you history buffs, the Arc of Triumph is a tribute to honor those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic Wars, with the names of all French victories and generals inscribed on its inner and outer surfaces. Beneath its vault lies the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I.

I totally just googled that. It’s copy pasted from Wikepedia. You’re welcome.

We also did something that every tourist has to do when they come to Paris: the “Bateau-Mouche.” Julie was, once again, less than enthusiastic about this, but I thought it was amazing! It’s basically a boat that goes around the Seine river, also known as the “artery” of Paris, and allows you to see all the major historic monuments. For you unfortunate souls who might never have a chance to do it in person, I’ve provided a video to tease you:




Right now I'm stuck in the airport in Paris. We had to leave early because Julie's flight was at 12, but mine is only at 7pm tonight. And tomorrow I will arrive at Bangkok before her because she is doing a detour and a connecting flight whereas mine is direct, which means I will wait another 3 hours in the airport tomorrow.

Ugghh. Emmett.




!

2 comments:

  1. Thats my sis! Conquering all those stairs...I cant think of a more fascinating way to get excercise than walking, biking, and climbing stairs around Paris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know that you could get to the top of the Arch. It looks like a nice view of the city. All I remember about that area is driving through the "Place de l'Etoile" and thinking to myself "where are all those cars (Emmett) coming from!?".
    The "Rive Gauche" was my favorite with all its bridges, bookstalls and bistros.

    ReplyDelete