Friday, July 8, 2011

The Lao Massage

If you ever have the chance to come to Laos, you will discover that for 7-9$ US you can receive a 60 minute, full body massage. But do not expect to relax and fall asleep as you might in Canada. Instead, after you’ve changed into comfortable Lao pajamas and laid down on a low bed surrounded by curtains, prepare yourself to be crawled upon, stretched, cracked, and otherwise abused. Seriously. They bent my body into positions that I didn’t know were possible. They cracked joints that I was positive were solid bones.

Don’t get me wrong, you leave the spa feeling amazing, you wobble back to your hotel like a big ball of walking jelly, but the process in itself is not entirely pleasant.

And they trick you too. There is usually soft music playing, the lights are turned down low, and they always start by softly massaging your feet, legs, and back. Then BAM, someone is sitting on you, pulling your arms and legs in different directions, and massaging your muscles from angles that no Canadian masseuse has the skill to reach.

Within four days of our arrival, Julie and I had gone twice. I feel like a yoga master. I feel like a ninja. I feel like I could attempt a split... but that would be dumb.

6 comments:

  1. Not sure about that last line Tasha, it still hurts, Too soon. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. the difference between you and me is that I won't actually do it. I'm not an idiot. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I actually need one of those but it sounds a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I've had massages like that at home by non other than you guys when you were kids and were trying to take good care of your dad! One would actually massage the muscles, while the others were either jumping on my back, pulling an arm or a leg, or just trying to turn my head full 360 degrees. I'd laugh through most of it, although to this day Lee claims it sounded like I was groaning in pain. When the massage session was over, you would play doctor and nurse taking care of a dying man...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dads comment is hilarious lol

    I think I could use one of those massages too! It sounds like the kind of pain that makes your body feel really good after its over...like when you have a really intense workout. :)

    ReplyDelete